But my chapati/roti was not perfect at all. I won't post pictures, because… I'm embarrassed. They were consistently doughy in the middle. Winding back a few steps to how I started:
- I made triple the amount he did, so 2 cups each of the whole wheat and the all-purpose, with about 2 1/4 cups (a full liquid measure cup) of water.
- I added too much oil– maybe 3 tablespoons by accident when greasing my hands.
- I let the dough sit about 30 mins, as it was a larger amount.
- The consistency was very, very, very sticky, and so I added maybe a 1/2 cup flour, as well as flour to my hands and to the outside of each little dough ball.
- For this reason I also patted and stretched it by hand, because I tired of how badly the dough stuck to a rolling pin.
- I used a cast iron griddle. It was then that I realized this was much too big for the vegetable sizzler Purplesque had made, because it covers two stove burners. It's also a bit warped from the last time we used it some years back. (It stains the stove so we went back to non-stick skillet/griddle pans for other cooking uses.)
- I realized that I was probably rushing the process… I thought I was not going to get bubbles in the dough, but waiting longer helped some. I used a spatula for turning and flipping the dough as atuls did. But even when I waited longer, it still turned out doughy, even when it became crispy in spots.
- I had the burners set to medium high, as suggested in the second video of the post. At first, this set off the fire alarms and left my daughter crying, because of the smoke. So I turned on the hood fan and Cimmy cracked open the door. *sigh* Even at medium heat I still got smoke when I applied butter to the griddle between batches.
Of course, it's 23:22 now; I got started maybe 1.5-2 hours ago. (My sleeping and waking states are flip-flopped right now.)